Elif's view on objects-people-events, science-art-sports-culture, language-communication-internet, home-work-travel, and you-and-them-and-everybody-she-knows..

Thursday, September 21, 2006

don't feel like dancing

I have been searching for sometime for a happy band to listen to. It would have been also great to have found some happy songs. But that didn't seem likely. I knew some happys songs: Monthy Python 'Always look on the bright side of life' or Grease 'You're the one I want'. They are nice songs but they still are very much associated with the happy/funny movies. Then, it seemed like I didn't have much chance. This made me think that maybe 'happiness' is not a good source of inspiration for a song writer. There are love songs, there are sarrow songs, or songs that are provocative, or that are about certain desires like sex or money. This again put a question mark in my head: are songs written in a certain way because the writers are feeling that way? But how about then the recent status of the music industry, it seems that nowadays music is treated as an entertaining medium rather than an artistic expression-just image the millions of dollars that is going around popular bands and people's desire to listen to them in concerts. Then why aren't there more happy songs to cheer up people?? Isn't a little caress and push what we need when we feel lonely and desperate or just sad..

In fact it seems like I've found a band and a particular song that cheered me up today! Although the lyrics seem to mention some disappointment to somebody, the whole sound makes the 'problem' a little lighter. Well, the name of the song is
'Don't Feel Like Dancing' by Scissor Sisters. The band sounds and looks really gay - in both senses! :). They are great fun to watch and listen.

The lyrics go like this:

"
Don't feel like dancin', dancin'
Even if i find nothin' better to do
Don't feel like dancin', dancin'
Why'd you break down when I'm not in the mood?
Don't feel like dancin', dancin'
Rather be home with no one when I can't get down with you"

... but it's impossible not to dance along! When I hear the song I do undertand the lyrics but still my legs and arms detach from my stiff body and mind then I start moving back and forth, and my whole body soon shakes with the tempo of the song!

This song is definitely an oxymoron to the senses! and that's what I needed today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home